This is a space for all things that inspire us and we hope will inspire you too. Have something you'd like us to cover or try? Just contact us!
Home & Garden
This beet asparagus salad recipe is one of my favourites that I have been making for years. It was given to me by a family friend and now it is a staple when I have many people for lunch and dinner. It is naturally flavourful and the presentation and colours are beautiful. You can find the original recipe from the BBC here, but I have adapted it over the years into my own (slightly simpler) version.
This recipe is good for 4 main dish portions (as photographed here) or 6-8 small starter portions. I usually have this as one of many dishes at the table for about 8 people and everyone takes a large spoonful.
6 medium sized beets
2 bunches asparagus
1 large log goat cheese
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
Fresh Ground Pepper & Salt to taste
1. Clean and boil the beets. Do not peel beets before boiling, but cut them in half or quarters. Boil until easily pierced with a fork, about 45 min – 1 hr. When finished allow them to cool and then peel them. The skins should be able to be pushed off with your hands; no knife or peeler necessary. Warning: You will stain your thumbs! Wear gloves if you wish to avoid that.
3. Boil the asparagus spears until able to be pierced with a fork – about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
3. Cut beets into bite size chunks, and the asparagus into about 1 inch segments.
4. The salad can be prepared in a large bowl or small individual bowls. Regardless of bowl size, this salad is best arranged in layers. First, a layer of beets, then asparagus, then goat cheese on top, and chopped walnuts to garnish. The walnuts are definitely optional. I have a family member with a nut allergy so they are always eliminated for me and I find the salad is just as delicious!
5. The salad dressing is prepared by whisking together cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Pour over the salad. Enjoy!
Follow along with our daily snaps featuring flowers & events, outfits, recipes, and all things lovely